Friday, May 27, 2011

Words (essay) pt. 1

When I was preparing tea and biscuits, I grinned to myself as Joe was wrestling with our son, Kylar. Kylar was still small in his tender years of eleven. He had no other choice but to tickle his father. Joe asked him to stop in between his laughing.

Yet, the instant the image of my father crossed my mind, I could feel my smile faded. Words could affect a person’s life so much no matter how much one assured himself that what people said did not matter. Words could even ring in your ears forever, even if they were your own words. I really hoped that I could bounce back to the time when the words should be unsaid...

Mother disappeared without any notice. It seemed like she left us for good. I knew the split would happen. What could father possibly say to my mother until she left us? He would never tell me that. I was never fond of my parents even when I was at the age of sixteen. Yet we could have changed things to be better. Nonetheless, it seemed as if my mother gave up on us, but father didn’t. Since the sudden divorce happened, my father tried to be my best friend, as if he just realized that I was important to him. The way he expressed it – he just treaded on my toes.

He came to my school and hung out with the kids in the school, from variety group of students. Not only that, he dressed up like a teenager – a tight shirt and a pair of three-quarter pants. Everywhere I went in the school, unknown students would greet and wave at me, “Hey, you’re Mr. D’s daughter!”

It was an embarrassment to me that people even knew that he was my father. Unexpected, he even thought of being a teacher in my school! “I do not think that is a good idea, dad,” I insisted.

To my surprise, father agreed with my statement. I felt so relieved. Nevertheless, he still came to my school to give me food for breakfast. That was more embarrassing than having people say he was my father.

Every time he did that, people took a glance at us and giggled. If a boy did so, father would misunderstand that the boy actually liked me. That was really ridiculous. My brain could not grasp on why the students could laugh out loud on what he said. I lived with embarrassment for months and I could not take it anymore.

As soon as I arrived home, I went straight to my room. My bedroom’s door was ajar. I got closer to see my father was reading a book that looked really familiar – my diary.

“Dad, what are you doing?” I was so angry and I snatched the book from him and I was on my way to get out from the house.

“Cindy, wait! Cindy...!” he said softly and grabbed my arm.

I pulled my arm back to be freed from his firm grip and turned around to face him. “Get your own life!” I yelled at him while looking straight onto his eyes. I had enough of him and I just blew my top.

I stormed outside and slammed the door really hard. Quickly I walked past the gateless houses and disappeared at the corner to somewhere peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes?

FREAKS